Why simplifying is fundamental for your business
Much has been written in recent years on the subject of simplicity. Simplifying an activity implies that firstly it becomes more manageable for the professionals who conceived the idea and more straightforward tor those they will share it with. To simplify means to make an activity accessible to the end user.
Simplifying means above all optimizing and saving on the management of your repetitive activities.
In Digital Marketing the activities that I have been following for some years have confirmed this trend. More and more often simplicity is strongly requested by customers and this result can be obtained after an accurate analysis even with free tools and platforms. This article aims to deepen the main concept of simplicity and automation with use of IFTTT platform. Two possible alternatives to IFTTT are Zapier and Yubnub.
IFTTT (acronym for IF This happens Then you make That happen) is a free service that allows the creation of simple chains of conditions, called applets. An example in the management of social activities, an applet is activated by other services such as Gmail, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest and can, for example, send an e-mail message when the user uses a hashtag in a tweet or can send a copy of a Facebook photo to an archive when the user is tagged in it. Today, IFTTT services are widely used and shared by its users, as they exist for different devices, both iOS and Android.
The terms used by IFTTT are:
- Services (Services). They are the basic building blocks of IFTTT. Describe a series of data for a specific web service, such as YouTube or eBay. They can also concern actions controlled by APIs such as text messages. They can also represent weather or stock information. Each Service has its own triggers and actions.
- Triggers ( Triggers ). Match the “this” part of a recipe. These are the elements that initiate an action. For example, from an RSS feed they can receive notifications based on a specific word or phrase.
- Actions. Match the “that” part of a recipe. They are the result of what started the triggers.
- Applets. They are the set formed by triggers and action. For example, the like of a photo in Instagram (trigger) will upload the photo to the Dropbox account (action).
- Ingredients. They are individual data made available by a trigger. For example, the email trigger can return the subject, the body and the date the message was received, the attachment and the sender’s address.
Examples of use
- IFTTT can automate processes related to web applications, for example by publishing the same content on different social networks.
- Those who work in the marketing sector can use IFTTT to record real-time mentions to one or more companies thanks to RSS feeds.
- Receive personalized weather forecasts from Weather Underground and alert.
My experience managing complex projects in large companies has led me to emphasize the concept of simplicity in all phases: from the most basic to the most critical (I refer in particular to the operating environments of large systems), from planning to implementation. Simplifying or removing the complications and difficulties of an activity requires more skills than it may appear with a first analysis. This analisys requires an implementation of accumulated experiences of many years.
This is not a temporary fashion, it is really a need that in the future will be increasingly important to differentiate. Also for this reason I invest my time to deepen these aspects in the activities that I carry out. This is why I call myself a digital simplifier. It is very important to me that this philosophy is immediately identifiable when I introduce myself to new people who do not know my approach.
Autor: Nicola Lapenta